11 March 2016
Applicant type: Charity
Freedom of Information Request regarding local authority obligation under section 21(2)(b) Children Act 1989 to receive, and provide accommodation for, children whom they are requested to receive under section 38(6) of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act ('PACE') 1984
I write to request information regarding Richmond Local Authority's arrangements for fulfilling its obligation under section 21(2)(b) of the Children Act 1989 to receive, and provide accommodation for, children in police custody following their arrest when requested to do so by the police under section 38(6) PACE 1984.
I would be grateful if you could please provide us with the following information:
1. what accommodation is available in the Richmond Local Authority, for fulfilling its obligations under section 21(2)(b) of the Children Act 1989 ('s38 beds'), how much of this accommodation is secure and non-secure
2. the number of times in the past year Richmond Local Authority has been contacted and asked to receive, and provide accommodation (secure and non-secure) for, children under section 38(6) PACE 1984 and please clarify whether you have a system for recording these referrals
3. the number of times in the past year Richmond Local Authority has provided such accommodation (secure and non-secure) following a police request under s38(6) PACE 1984; and
4. whether Richmond Local Authority has a current policy for fulfilling its statutory obligations under section 21(2)(b) Children Act 1989 and, if so, what that policy is. If a policy document exists we would be grateful if you could please provide us with a copy, as well as a copy of all previous policy.
Info provided - 11 April 2016
1) We do not have any specific provision secure or non-secure in the Borough for these young people. We would commission placements based on individual need so either external foster placements or residential units, as we would with any person who required a placement remanded or not in to our care
2) We do not hold this information
Please note that our responses were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of release, and have not subsequently been updated. This information should be considered an historical record only.
Updated: 13 Apr 2017