Friendly Parks for All
The Richmond Council Parks Team is working to improve the impact, reach and quality of access to parks and open spaces in the borough to residents who experience barriers to access.
Currently the model is being developed in five parks:
The model of accessible Friendly Parks for All has been developed in consultation with several local care charities in order to meet the needs of their clients.
The model includes:
- Additional seating and resting places
- Act of Kindness benches to encourage conversations between park users
- Improved paths and improved access, entrance/exit markers and a meeting point to aid navigation and help orientate yourself within the park
- Signage and routes marked with specially designed way finders
- Sensory trails
Seeds of Change newsletter
The Seeds of Change project aims to encourage more use of parks and open spaces by local people.
Accessibility guides have been developed for all five parks:
- Barnes Green (pdf, 2.0 MB)
- Carlisle Park (pdf, 1.4 MB)
- Ham Village Green (pdf, 586 KB)
- Heathfield Recreation Ground (pdf, 2.0 MB)
- Kneller Gardens (pdf, 1.7 MB)
As part of the Friendly Parks for All project there are free weekly activities held in one of the Friendly Parks.
Activities happening in 2023
- Accessible Wellbeing Walks 2023 (pdf, 3.0 MB)
- Wellbeing Walks 2023 (pdf, 906 KB)
- Friendly Parks for All activities 2023 (pdf, 438 KB)
- Litter Walk Programme 2023 (pdf, 445 KB) (pdf, 906 KB)
- Kneller Gardens All Ability Cycling (pdf, 96 KB)
Kneller Gardens activities
Kneller Gardens includes an accessible Sensory Trail and Tree Trail. These can be used by visitors to explore and become more familiar with the Park.
All Ability bike sessions are being run in Kneller Gardens, please see the above leaflet.
View leaflets for:
Carlisle Park Sensory Tree Trail
Carlisle Park includes an accessible Sensory Tree Trail, which allows visitors to navigate the park following the trail whilst getting to know more about the trees here.
Heathfield Sensory Trail
Heathfield Recreation Ground includes an accessible Sensory Trail and Sensory Path. There are also plans for an outdoor gym suitable for older people and people with limited mobility.
Updated: 09 May 2023