Household hazardous waste
Many products used in and around the home are classed as hazardous. They need to be disposed of safely to avoid harming the environment.
The City of London operates a Household Hazardous Waste Collection and Disposal Service (HWCDS) on our behalf.
The service is able to arrange for the removal of wrapped asbestos and packaged chemicals from households. If you find that you have either asbestos or chemicals to dispose of you will need to contact them with the details of what needs to be collected.
Disposal at the Townmead Road Re-use and Recycling Centre
Domestic hazardous products can be taken to Townmead Road Re-use and Recycling Centre and disposed of safely - with some exceptions:
- We do not accept asbestos
- We do not accept clinical waste
- Marine flares are not accepted and must be taken to HM Coastguard for safe disposal.
- We do not accept fireworks or other pyrotechnics, and it is illegal to put them in your household rubbish or recycling. Contact the manufacturer or supplier for advice on disposal.
- We do not accept commercial hazardous waste.
Hazardous waste can include things like:
- Household cleaning and decorating chemicals
- Some pesticides
- Fluorescent tubes and discarded energy saving light bulbs (also known as CFLs)
- Motoring products like oils, anti-freeze, brake fluid, petrol and diesel
- Batteries (large retailers are now providing recycling containers for returning batteries)
- Discarded electrical equipment like TVs, computer monitors and other appliances
- Fridges and freezers
Things to remember when disposing of hazardous waste at Townmead Road
- Never put hazardous waste into the general waste or into recycling.
- Always keep products in their original containers.
- Place waste in the designated hazardous waste area or if you are uncertain, ask a member of staff
- If you have a product that is not labelled, see a member of staff. Never leave an unidentified waste, it could cause an accident later.
- If you are uncertain about the waste, qualified staff are on site to assist you.
If you are unable to take your hazardous waste to Townmead, contact The City of London to find out about collection services.
Petrol and diesel
If you are bringing petrol or diesel to Townmead please report to the office and remember:
- Do not mix petrol or diesel with the waste engine oil
- Some containers you have used may not be returned to you
For more information, contact Townmead Road Re-use and Recycling Centre on 020 8876 3281.
Updated: 17 July 2020