My Account

How to make a Building Regulations application

You should decide which type of application is appropriate for your own circumstance. If you have any questions, please contact the Building Control Team.

Even if you feel your work does not require Building Regulation approval it is always better to ask.

To find out what building work must be notified to a local authority or carried out by a registered installer, visit

Types of application

There are three types of Building Regulation applications:

Online applications

New Building Control applications can be made online via:

  • The Building Control application service on the Planning Portal, or
  • The LABC (Local Authority Building Control) National Portal at Submit-a-Plan

When applying using these services you should not submit any payments. Fees should be paid direct to us once you receive your online application reference. See how to pay Building Regulations fees and charges for further information.

To view and amend an existing online application, you must login to the portal that you used to submit the application.

Fee for applications

The current VAT rate is calculated at 20%. These are detailed on the appropriate application page.

The charges for Building Control functions are set by the Council under the Building Control Charges Regulations. The charges, formulated under the Charges Scheme, are reviewed annually and can be changed at any time by the Council.


Where a charge is paid but work does not proceed, any request for a refund will be considered on the basis of costs incurred by the Council subject to a minimum administration charge of £50.00.

Section 32 of The Building Act 1984

If the work has not commenced within three years of the deposit of the plans, the Council may, by notice under Section 32 of the Building Act 1984, declare the plans to be of no effect.

If you still wish to proceed with this work a new application will have to be submitted. This application will have to be to the standards applicable at the time of deposit and will require a further fee.

Approved Inspectors

Approved Inspectors are the private sector alternative to Local Authority Building Control. If you decide to use the services of an Approved Inspector instead of the Council’s Building Control service, then an Initial Notice must be submitted by the Approved Inspector to the Council before work commences on site.

The Council do not supervise the building work on site at any stage, nor do the Council produce any documentation to confirm the work has been commenced or completed on site.

The Council are usually notified of the commencement and completion dates for the works for historic purposes, and if you do require documentation then you are required to contact the Approved Inspector directly.

Completion Certificates

You cannot get a Completion Certificate until your works have been signed off by the Building Surveyor.

Many people don't realise you need to get a final inspection to 'complete' works. You cannot complete the sale of your house without proof of a Completion Certificate for any works carried out on a property.

See also

Updated: 23 August 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.