Street trading

If you want to operate a business in the London Borough of Richmond, not contained within a building, you need to apply for a Street Trading Licence.

Licence summary

Street Trading Licence under the provisions of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 cover stalls, food vans, forecourts, and tables and chairs on the public highway. A fee is payable depending on the type of licence you request.

In general, any form of selling of goods or the provision of services taking place in the street or on the public footway, or within 7 metres distance from the public highway will require a licence.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on the and days/times you wish to trade. You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

Eligibility criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence. Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds apply:

  • There isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users;
  • You are unsuitable to hold a licence due to any previous convictions or for other reasons;
  • You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence.

Regulation summary

London Local Authorities Act (as amended)

Application evaluation process

Under certain circumstances if grounds for refusal exist the council may still award a licence but for fewer days than required, or to allow trade on certain terms. The council will either grant the application or a serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.

The notice will be served if the council intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.

The notice will give details of the grounds for the decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within a reasonable time. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact us at

How to apply

You can download a paper application form.

Car sales on highways

The sale of motor vehicles from the public highway is an improper use of the highway entitling London Borough of Richmond or the police to take action to have the vehicles removed and/or the current owners prosecuted.

Community events

To trade at an event you may need to apply for a street trading licence(pdf, 31KB).

Tables on the footway

Permission will be required if a person or organisation would like to erect a table and/or display on the pavement or in a pedestrian area.

Itinerant/one-day street trader

If you are looking to sell from a stall or vehicle on either the public footway or highway (e.g. a flower stall) on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, you will need an itinerant street trading licence(pdf, 98KB).

To trade on a one day basis e.g. for an event at Twickenham Stadium, Varsity Boat Race or similar you will need a one day street trading licence(pdf, 152KB).

Before applying for a street trading licence the applicant must be satisfied that where applicable, their operation is fully compliant with these Food Safety and Health  and Safety checklists:

Itinerant ice cream sales

People who own ice cream vans may trade as itinerant traders (see above).

Market stalls

There are no permanent sites for markets in the London Borough of Richmond.

New street trading applications/street trading pitch

Please see our notes on Street Trading(pdf, 23KB) for details.

Temporary works consent

If you wish to temporarily deposit building materials, rubbish, or other items in a street or make a temporary excavation, you must have consent from Highways and Transport.

Street parties

To organise a street party you need to see this guidance page.

Shop front trading

If you wish to extend the day to day business of your premises onto the public footway you will need a shop front street trading licence

Skip licences

Anyone wishing to place a skip on the public highway must be in receipt of a valid licence to do so, a licence is needed whether you place the skip on the highway for 5 minutes or 3 weeks.

Renewals of street trading licences

Please note that you should submit the application for renewal of your licence no later than two months before the expiry date of the licence. Renewals applications received less than two months prior to the expiry date of the licence will be rejected and you will be asked to apply for a new licence. You and your employed assistants will be asked to  provide documents with your application form. We will need to see:

  • a copy of a valid passport  with work permits (if applicable);
  • proof of address:
  • national insurance number;
  • £5 million public liability insurance cover; and
  • two passport photographs.

For fees please see our Street Trading Fees Page.

Contact the Licensing Team

If you have any questions or comments please contact Licensing


2nd Floor
Civic Centre
44 York Street


Updated: 3 May 2019