My Account

If you are applying for a street trading licence to extend the day-to-day business of your premises onto the public footpath/highway (for example, a greengrocer to display fruit and veg or restaurant to place tables and chairs) you will need a licence.

Applying for a licence

EUGO - Part of the EUGO network

You will need to:

  • Download and complete the shop front street trading application form (pdf, 95 KB)
  • Submit two passport size photographs, taken within the last twelve months, of the manager or owner of the premises/shop to be signed on the reverse by the applicant
  • Provide a copy of your public liability insurance to the minimum value of £5,000,000 to cover the activity of street trading
  • Pay the relevant fee
  • For catering vans, restaurants and cafés only - If selling food, please supply a copy of your food registration or inspection report

If you do not trade as a limited company

  • Provide one proof of identity (for example, full colour copy of a valid passport, driving licence photo card, national identity card)
  • Provide one evidence of home address for example, a utility bill, a bank statement, a council tax bill (not older than three months and must be the same name as the proof of identity supplied)
  • Proof of National Insurance number

Licenses will not be granted without all the documentation being provided.

Your tables and chairs, trolley, stand or stall must be suitably constructed so that they can be easily removable in the event of any emergency, for the maintenance of the footpath and always at the end of every day's trading.

Issue of licence

A licence to street trade as above may be either issued for 6 months (on a temporary basis), 1 year or up to 3 years. This would depend on the location and whether the street in which your business is situated is a designated street (see list below). Consultation with the Highways Authority and in some cases Transport for London (if on a Red Route) and the police must take place before any licence may be issued.

If your location is not in a designated street, a temporary licence might be issued whilst the process of designation takes place. If at the location is not designated after the end of the licence period there is no appeal under the provisions of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 (as amended).

If your shop has a private forecourt you may trade without a licence if you already pay the business rates for the site. Please check with the licensing team on the contact details below.

More information

Contact the Licensing Team

Please send all completed applications, supporting documents as detailed above and any queries to the following address:

Regulatory Services Partnership
Merton Civic Centre
London Road


Updated: 28 March 2024

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our business support email updates.