Participating in Council meetings

All Council meetings are open to the public. You may register to speak at a meeting if you live or work in the Borough.

Everyone’s contribution to the decision-making process is welcomed; you are not expected to be a professional speaker to take part.

Speak at a Committee meeting

The procedure to follow varies depending on the committee at which you wish to speak.

To speak at other Council Committees, please contact the Committee Manager for that Committee. Contact details are listed on the agenda frontsheet.

For all other queries contact Democratic Services:

Telephone: 020 8891 7183

Participate in a full Council meeting

Anyone living or working in the Borough may ask one question of Cabinet Members, Group Leaders or Committee/Sub-Committee Chairmen at an ordinary Council meeting attended by all 54 elected Councillors.

Questions must either:

  • relate to the general work or procedure of the Council
  • concern some matter in which the Council has powers or duties, or
  • concern a matter which specifically affects the Borough.

You can submit a question online or in writing at this address:

Chief Executive
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Civic Centre
44 York Street

This must be received no later than 12 noon on the working day before the day of the Council meeting (usually a Monday).

How it works

Public Question time is limited to 30 minutes and if all questions cannot be dealt with within that time, then written replies will be provided for the remainder of the questions.

Questions will usually be taken on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.

If clarification of a reply is required, one supplementary question may be put by the original questioner (this must arise directly out of the original question or the reply). A summary record of questions, supplementary questions and answers will be made in the minutes of the meeting.

Questioners must declare any current or prospective financial or personal interest they may have in the subject of the question.

Present a ward concern

If you have a particular concern about the ward in which you live, work or attend full-time education, you may speak about this at a meeting of Council.You will need to be sponsored by one of the Councillors in the ward concerned and give notice to the Chief Executive by no later than 12pm ten working days before the meeting.

In your written request you should describe the issue of concern, give details of any proposals and sufficient information to allow the Cabinet Member to give a considered response. Only one ward concern may be presented by any individual member of the public in any civic year.

Submit a petition to Council

Local residents can send the Council a petition on any matter relating to the general work or procedure of the Council.

Petitions can be given to your ward Councillor who will present them at a Council meeting. The Council will request the relevant Cabinet Member to respond to petitions.

Make an enquiry

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Democratic Services Team.

Democratic Service
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
York House
Richmond Road

Telephone: 0208 891 7183
Join the Digest: Democratic Services' weekly email newsletter

Updated: 21 June 2018