Draft Local Plan: Pre-Publication version
About the consultation
This is an important stage in the process in developing a new Local Plan, known as the 'Pre-Publication' or 'Regulation 18' stage. We consulted until 31 January 2022.
This first draft of the Plan sets out a strategic vision, objectives and spatial strategy, with place-based strategies and thematic policies and guidance to manage growth and guide development across the borough over a 15-year period.
Its development has been informed by a Direction of Travel public consultation which was undertaken in spring 2020.
We sought thoughts and views on the draft Local Plan, particularly from our local communities, businesses as well as landowners and other key organisations in the borough.
Local Plan virtual events
We held a number of virtual events in January 2022 to provide an opportunity to discuss the Local Plan. Find out more about the sessions.
The key consultation documents were:
- 'Pre-Publication' Draft Local Plan (Regulation 18) (December 2021)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Pre-Publication Local Plan (December 2021) (pdf, 3.8 MB) (includes a non-technical summary)
These key consultation documents could also be viewed at the Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ and in the borough's main libraries (from 17 December 2021).
The consultation letter (pdf, 291 KB) was sent to our Local Plan database via email and/or hard copies in the post.
The 'Pre-Publication' Draft Local Plan was also informed by other supporting documents:
- Equality Impact and Needs Analysis (December 2021) (pdf, 381 KB)
- Habitats Regulation Assessment (December 2021) (pdf, 5.6 MB)
- Health Impact Assessment (December 2021) (pdf, 379 KB)
- Flood Risk and Development Sequential Test (December 2021) (pdf, 75mb) and updated version due to typographical changes to site assessments (May 2022) (pdf, 11.5 MB)
- Direction of Travel Consultation Responses Summary Report (November 2020) (pdf, 1.5 MB)
The following documents were also produced to assist anyone responding to the consultation:
- A summary of the place-based strategies with site allocations and policies (December 2021) (pdf, 530 KB) - sets out some of the main changes when compared to the adopted Local Plan
- A summary of how a series of community conversations have informed the Draft Richmond Local Plan (December 2021) (pdf, 1.7 MB)
- Schedule of sites not taken forward as Site Allocations in the new Draft Richmond Local Plan (December 2021) (pdf, 169 KB)
There are a number of research and studies forming the Local Plan evidence base. The following were recently updated. Further phases and additional studies are due to be undertaken in early 2022, to inform the final version of the Plan.
- Open Land Review (Green Belt, MOL, LGS and OOLTI) (2021)
- Review of Sites of Importance for Nature Conservation (2021)
- Urban Design Study (2021)
- Employment Land and Premises Needs Assessment (December 2021)
- Local Housing Needs Assessment (stage 1) (July 2021)
- Retail and Leisure Needs Study (phase 1) (July 2021)
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment and groundwater investigation
How respondents took part
- A schedule of all the detailed comments (pdf, 5.3 MB) to the Regulation 18 consultation received, along with appendices (pdf, 11.3 MB)
- A report about the virtual events and some initial responses to the frequently asked questions
What happens next
Following this consultation, we will consider and analyse all responses received and make changes to the Plan, where appropriate. There will be a further round of public consultation on our final version of the Local Plan (so called 'Publication' or 'Regulation 19' version) later in 2022. It is expected this may start in December. This will be the version that we will submit - together with the representations received - to the Secretary of State for independent examination in public. When we reach that stage we will publish a full consultation report, including summaries of issues raised and responses to the comments raised.
The Local Plan is anticipated to be adopted in Autumn 2024.
If you would like to be kept informed of future progress on the Local Plan, you can opt-in to our Local Plan database by emailing your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like more information, please contact the Local Plan team at the same email address.
Up to: Draft Local Plan
Updated: 08 June 2022