How to make a Reversion application
In 2019, Building Control has unexpectedly been informed that a number of Approved Inspectors no longer possess the required professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance cover to directly provide their Approved Inspector role (Private Building Control Service).
About the Building Act 1984, Building Regulations 2010
Failure to possess the required professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance cover is a highly important factor, if you or your Agent has appointed an Approved Inspector, which currently does not have a valid insurance cover, to undertake the Building Control element of your building work/projects.
Where an Approved Inspector, which currently does not have a valid insurance cover, have submitted the mandatory Initial Notice application and the building works have already commenced and the Approved Inspector becomes or expects to become unable to carry out (or to continue to carry out) his functions with respect to which the Initial Notice relates, the person carrying out the work or intending to carry out the work shall cancel the Initial Notice by notice given to the Local Authority concerned and the Approved Inspector.
What happens next for customers, applicants and agents
The relevant person carrying out the work or intending to carry out the work must contact the Building Control team:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 020 8891 7117
Please note, we cannot do this on behalf of the person carrying out the work or intending to carry out the work.
The formal reversion process
Prior to any reversion process with the local authority Building Control, the person carrying out the work or intending to carry out the work must provide and issue the Council with the following key information and documentation:
- The formal cancellation of the original Initial Notice on the prescribed form in accordance with the above mentioned Act
- Details of the Approved Inspector’s Plan certificates, visits, inspections, actions and outcomes
- All relevant technical information, plans, approvals, statutory consultations, formal agreements, Specialist Engineer reports, third party warranties, etc where they exist
On receipt of the above requested information, we will require a new reversion application to cover the elements of building work in conjunction with the works described on the original Initial Notice plus the associated application fee to allow us to continue with the reverted application through to the completion stage.
Building Regulations applications and associated fees can be viewed and submitted to the London Borough of Richmond Building Control team.
Reversion application form and fees
Making a payment
There are a number of ways to make a payment. You can either:
- Send in a cheque for the required amount to: Building Control, 2nd Floor Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
- Visit our Council Offices (Civic Centre, Twickenham) and pay at our dedicated reception located on the ground floor
- We are now able to take Credit/Debit card payments over the telephone, contact the Technical Support Team on 020 8891 7117
Updated: 01 April 2022