If you are living with a disability or health condition or are getting older, you may find it difficult to get around your home and complete everyday tasks independently and safely. There are many things you can do to stay independent for as long as possible.

This may be a piece of useful equipment, practical help with daily tasks, adaptations to your home or help with getting out and about in the community. When you first contact us, we will have a conversation with you to better understand your circumstances or those of the person you are concerned about.

Equipment to help you stay safe

 If you are experiencing difficulties with your daily routine and activities, equipment, simple aids or minor adaptions can help to keep you safe and independent in your own home.

There is a range of equipment available to help you, including bathing aids, bedroom aids, grab rails, kitchen aids and toileting aids.

You can purchase many simple pieces of equipment or aids yourself from your local pharmacy, supermarket, hardware stores and mobility outlets as well as ordering them online.

Major adaptations to your home

In some circumstances, it may be necessary to make significant changes to your home to make it easier for you to move about and use your home safely and independently.

You may need a major adaptation, such as a stair lift, level access shower or access ramp.

Depending on your situation, including your financial circumstances, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the cost of making adaptations to your home.

The Home Improvement Agency can provide more information and help you apply for a grant if you are eligible.

More information and advice

If you are unsure what equipment you may need, you can contact the following organisations that provide impartial advice, information on independent living:


Telephone: 020 7289 6111

Living Made Easy

Telephone: 0300 999004

Getting support from the council

Whether you need a simple aid or equipment or an adaptation, you can contact us for further information and advice and to discuss how best to support you to stay independent in your home. We can arrange for some of the appropriate equipment to be provided to you on loan. The equipment must be returned to us when you no longer require it, so it can be recycled.


View contact details for Adult Social Care.

Updated: 17 January 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.