My Account

There are several council, government and community schemes that can help with the cost of food and household items.

Community Meals Service

Our partners at Apetito offer a home meal service which ensures that you or your loved ones receive delicious and nutritious meals, delivered every day by their friendly and knowledgeable drivers. The service is an ideal choice for those who, for one reason or another, aren’t able to cook for themselves, for instance if they’ve just come out of hospital. For your extra peace of mind, they will take the contact number of a friend or relative in case they have concerns about a customer’s wellbeing.

Find out more about the Community Meals Service.

Citizens Advice Richmond

RCABS provides specialist advice on a range of issues such as claiming benefits, employment issues, housing, immigration, debt, tax, advice for EU citizens etc. They offer hardship grants on behalf of other local funders and food vouchers.

Household Support Fund

Richmond AID and Citizens Advice Richmond have received Household Support Funding to distribute to low-income households who are struggling (July to September 2022) and need help and support accessing food, energy bills or other household essentials. This includes working households on a low income.

This support can be in the form of: 

  • Payments and vouchers for individuals and families towards the cost of food, energy costs and essential items
  • Access to the wider advice service provided by Richmond AID and Citizens Advice Richmond to help residents maximise their household income and manage their situation e.g. support around benefits or debt advice

Find out more about Citizens Advice Richmond

Find out more from Richmond Aid

Food for Thought Heathfield

Offering surplus food from local retailers at a pop-up market stall on Heathfield Recreation Ground. Open to anyone and you can donate if you are able. Speak to a member of the team if you require additional support with ready-made meals or toiletries/hygiene products. 

Open Thursday from 2.30 to 4.30pm and Saturday 11.30am to 1.30pm outside the Pavilion on Heathfield Recreation Ground, Powdermill Lane, TW2 6EG. 

Free school meals

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

Find out more about free school meals

  • Call 020 8547 5448

Healthy Start vouchers

If you are at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old, AND you or your family already receive income support or Universal Credit you could be eligible for this Government scheme.

Local Assistance Scheme

For those residents in receipt of welfare benefits, there are crisis grants available to help in an emergency for household items, food and baby essentials.

No recourse to Public Funds Hardship Fund

We will make awards available to Richmond residents whose income has been affected by COVID-19 and have no recourse to public funds. The fund can help households by providing support with groceries in the form of supermarket vouchers.

Richmond AID

Specialist benefits advice for people with disabilities. Providing a Food Hub, in partnership with other local organisations over the Covid-19 period. They can also provide food vouchers and grants for food or other essential items.

  • Find out more about Richmond AID
  • Call 020 8831 6070 or 020 3393 7011

Richmond Food Bank

They have five food distribution points in and near the borough and can provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food for people. This service is provided by the Trussell Trust, a nationwide network helping to combat poverty and food hunger across the UK. You need a food voucher to get provisions from the Food Bank.


Providing support for adults and children with disabilities. They are running a Food Hub in partnership with local voluntary sector organisations, a shopping service, and telephone befriending. They also provide information, advice and advocacy across all aspects affecting disabled people e.g. care and support at home, activities in the community and housing.

  • Find out more about RUILS
  • Call 020 8831 6083

The Barnes Fund

They can offer support with utility bills, such as gas, water or electricity / essential items / food vouchers. Must be in the Barnes Fund catchment area (SW13).

The Hampton Fund

Can help with fuel grants. You must also live in their area of benefit - Hampton, Hampton Hill, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Twickenham and Whitton.

The Real Junk Food Project

They turn surplus food from local retailers into delicious meals that they serve at their cafe, plus lots of surplus food to take away. Open to anyone. Pay as you feel.

Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11.30am to 1.30pm at the ETNA Community Centre, 13 Rosslyn Road, TW1 2AR.

Updated: 21 June 2024

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.