My Account

Information on commercial and industrial waste regulations at Townmead Road.

Commercial waste charges

Commercial waste

Commercial waste includes waste arising from:

  • A commercial organisation, business or trade
  • A person's employment
  • A domestic property or caravan used in the course of a business for the provision of self-catering accommodation
  • premises occupied by a charity and wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes (exemptions apply to places of worship and public meeting halls)
  • Premises occupied by a club, society or any association of persons in which activities are conducted for the benefit of the members
  • Premises occupied by a court; a government department; a local authority; a person appointed by or under any enactment to discharge public functions; or a body incorporated by Royal Charter
  • Any part of a composite hereditament used for the purposes of a trade or business
  • A market or fair
  • The practice of a general medical practitioner
  • A Royal palace

Industrial waste 

Industrial waste includes waste arising from:

  • Works of construction and Demolition, including preparatory works*
  • A laboratory
  • Premises used for the purposes of a trade or business if the waste is hazardous and results from mixing or selling paints; sign writing; laundering or dry cleaning; developing photographic film or making photographic prints; selling petrol, diesel fuel, paraffin, kerosene, heating oil or similar substances; or selling pesticides, herbicides or fungicides
  • Sewage and Septic tank sludge
  • Clinical waste and offensive waste from non-domestic sources

* Except where all of the following apply:

  • The waste was produced at a domestic property by occupiers of that domestic property
  • No payment for the works that generated the waste was or will be made
  • The amount of waste delivered in a single visit is either:
    • Less than 100 litres and capable of being fitted into two 50 litre bags
    • A single article of waste no larger than 2000mm x 750mm x 700mm in size
    • The waste delivered does not exceed four single visits per household in any four week period

Waste carriers licence

The law states that any business transporting waste, whether their own or someone else's, for free or for profit, must register as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency in England.

Businesses are required to show their waste carriers licence certificate to Townmead Road site staff before tipping their waste. Failure to provide the certificate may result in refusal to tip your waste.

If you wish to dispose of any construction and demolition waste you must register for an upper tier licence.

If you do not have a valid licence, you must register as a carrier of waste.

Depending on the activity, this registration may be free of charge.

Register as a waste carrier

Payment for tipping trade waste

  • You can only pay for waste with a Debit/Credit Card.
  • Failure to have enough funds for payment, may be construed as illegal dumping, and is punishable with up to ¬£2,500 fine.

Find out more about our commercial waste charges.

Trade customer admission

It may be necessary to close our facility to trade customers periodically. On such occasions priority will be given to residents of the borough. Trade services will resume as soon as possible.

See our trade opening hours.

Updated: 31 December 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our waste and recycling email updates.