A Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) is a legal document notifying you that your vehicle has been observed allegedly contravening a parking or traffic restriction.
View PCN details Pay a PCN
What is a PCN?
We enforce parking in accordance with our Parking Enforcement and Cancellation Protocol(pdf, 599KB).
We monitor parking and traffic in two ways:
- Patrolling Civil Enforcement Officers, who issue PCNs at the time of the alleged contravention. If the vehicle leaves before the PCN has been issued, or the Officer is prevented from issuing the notice then we will contact the DVLA for the vehicle keeper details and post a PCN to the person we believe to be the keeper of the vehicle.
- Using fixed CCTV cameras, which record the alleged contravention. The footage is reviewed and if an alleged contravention is confirmed, we will contact the DVLA for the vehicle keeper details and post a PCN to the person we believe to be the keeper of the vehicle.
The CCTV enforcement locations list (pdf, 237 KB) contains locations exclusively enforced using CCTV cameras.
Example of a PCN
Below is a sample PCN as issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer on street or in a car park. Postal PCNs include similar details. The information and guidance included on any recovery document issued by the Council is determined by the legislation quoted on the notice.
- PCN Number - This is a unique 10 digit reference number starting 'RT' and must be quoted on all correspondence and when telephoning.
- Date of Service of this Notice - The date the notice was fixed to the vehicle or handed to the driver.
- Vehicle Registration Number - The unique registration number of the vehicle, without spaces.
- Make and Colour - The vehicle make and colour as believed by the Civil Enforcement Officer. An incorrect colour does not invalidate a PCN due to the possibility of poor lighting or ambiguous vehicle colours.
- Tax Disc Number - The number of the vehicle license as displayed in the windscreen.
- Tax Disc Expiry Date - The expiry date of the vehicle license as displayed in the windscreen.
- Location - The road or location where the alleged contravention occurred.
- Contravention - The reference number and a brief description of the contravention believed to have been committed by the vehicle. See PCN contravention codes for more information.
- Date and Time of Contravention - The actual date and time at which the alleged contravention was recorded on the Civil Enforcement Officer's handheld computer, which corresponds to when the Officer has confirmed the notice was printed correctly.
- Vehicle observed from - Some contraventions have a period where the Civil Enforcement Officer may observe the vehicle before the vehicle is considered to be in contravention and a PCN can be issued. If there was no observation period then this date and time will be the same as the date and time of contravention.
- Penalty Charge - The full penalty charge.
- Reduced Penalty Charge - This is the reduced penalty charge, which applies if we receive payment within 14 days, starting on the date of issue.