My Account

In most cases you should first speak to your neighbour to try and resolve any issues of noise.

What you should do

We can investigate complaints about noise from a neighbour's premises that is seriously affecting your right to enjoy your premises. In most cases you should first approach your neighbour directly about the matter. It is always better if neighbours can resolve their problems informally, and many noise (and other) problems can be resolved this way.

If your complaint is about a Housing Association tenant, you should report the matter to the Housing Association. It will usually be dealt with under their tenancy rules.

If the problem continues, you should:

What happens next

  1. Once you have reported your complaint you should continue to complete and submit ongoing diaries of the noise while your complaint is investigated
  2. Investigations may be carried out until we are satisfied that there is a statutory noise nuisance or not. If appropriate, we may take enforcement action against the person(s) causing the noise

Weekend service

We run a weekend service which you should call if noise is disturbing you on a Friday or Saturday night between 10pm and 3am. Call us on 07944 038 495. Please do not text the service. Please be aware that voice messages and text messages received on this number outside of these hours will not be responded to.

Our officers will need to visit you, to assess the level of noise disturbing you within your home.


Many noise complaints concern loud music and parties. There is no law against having a party, but it is against the law to cause a noise nuisance. Everyone has a duty to ensure that their activities do not cause a serious disturbance to their neighbours. Causing a noise nuisance can result in a fine of up to £5000, a criminal record, and possible seizure and confiscation of equipment.

Report nuisance behaviour

Updated: 03 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.