Disputes under the Party Wall Act

What happens if a dispute has arisen?

If possible resolve the differences amicably by friendly discussion.

  • If the different parties involved can’t agree, jointly appoint an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will draw up an ‘award’ – provide a solution which is acceptable to all parties.
  • If an ‘agreed surveyor’ is not acceptable, each neighbour appoint their own surveyor who may be able to resolve any problems
  • If the separate surveyors can’t agree, they can nominate a ‘third party surveyor’ to adjudicate
  • Surveyors who are appointed must behave impartially and consider the interest of both neighbours. They do not act as advocates for each side.

For more information on the Party Wall Act, an explanatory booklet is available via the Planning Portal.

Updated: 27 February 2019