My Account

We do not provide a commercial hazardous waste collection service, and commercial hazardous waste cannot be taken to Townmead Road Re-use and Recycling Centre.

What are your options?

The City of London provides a collection service.

Some private organisations and companies provide hazardous waste collections. You can search for companies on the:

  • Environment Agency’s public register (to check current registrations and licences though not the types of waste a registered waste carrier deals with)
  • Waste Directory (to search by waste type and location. Listed organisations are registered with the Environment Agency or the relevant authority to treat the specific waste types.)

What is hazardous waste?

For waste to be classed as hazardous it must exhibit one of the following properties:

  • Explosive
  • Corrosive
  • Oxidising
  • Infectious
  • Flammable
  • Toxic for reproduction
  • Irritant
  • Mutagenic
  • Harmful
  • Ecotoxic
  • Toxic
  • Residuary hazardous property
  • Carcinogenic

Further information

If you have waste to dispose of and you are unsure whether the waste is classed as hazardous, visit the Environment Agency website or call them on 08708 506 506.

Please be aware the collection and disposal of hazardous waste is tightly regulated by the Environment Agency, and there are severe penalties for not complying with regulations. All premises that produce more than 200kg of hazardous waste a year must be registered with the Environment Agency.

Updated: 14 July 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our waste and recycling email updates.