EU Settlement Scheme

If you are a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status.

We are one of the local authorities supporting people to complete the ID verification part of the process.

About the scheme

There will be no change to current rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period on 31 December 2020.

To continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020, you will have until 30 June 2021 to apply for either settled or pre-settled status.

Find out more, including information on who is required to apply, on GOV.UK.

Identity verification

You will need a compatible Android phone or tablet if you want to scan your identity document yourself, this can be your own phone or tablet or someone else’s. There is no need to book an appointment with us if you have access to an Android device.

If your mobile phone or other device doesn’t have near field communication (NFC) you can make an appointment to bring your ID document to us, where it can be scanned and verified for you. You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status. If you have access to an Android device, you need not book an appointment with us.

We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status. Please note, if the Home Office request for your original documents, you need to send them directly to the Home Office, we do not offer a certifying service in this instance.

Make an appointment

Appointments are available on Mondays and Thursdays only.

You will need to bring:

  • Your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • A mobile phone that can receive text messages AND a device that can receive emails
  • Proof of your address (London Borough of Richmond upon Thames residents) – you may be charged if attend your appointment without sufficient proof.

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us, if you do not have one of these ID documents then please visit GOV.UK to find out your options.


The EU Settlement Service is free for council staff and residents of the district of Richmond upon Thames (proof of residence required at the time of your appointment).

Council staff are required to present their staff badge. This free service is not extended to staff family members.

For non-residents there is a fee of £14.

Book your appointment

Updated: 10 June 2019