Sport, open space and recreation needs assessment
In 2022, we carried out detailed assessments of the borough’s sport, open space and recreational facilities, including playing pitches and play space provision.
The updated Playing Pitch Assessment and Strategy are due to be published in spring/summer 2023. An updated Indoor Facility Assessment is also due to be published later in 2023.
What we have done
A comprehensive audit and assessment of existing provision of all types of open spaces, sport and recreational facilities, including the quality of supply and their condition, was carried out in 2022. The expected future demand for facilities, specific needs and opportunities up to 2033 was also assessed.
The Playing Pitch Assessment and Strategy were last published in March 2018 to comply with recommendations by Sport England, but have both been subjected to regular monitoring. Updates to these documents are being worked on and will be published this spring/summer. This work was carried out to update supply and demand data, while also validating and adding new context to reflect key changes since the initial research was conducted. The key priorities and issues have been updated in the Strategy accordingly.
View the current studies related to sport, open space and recreation needs:
- Playing Pitch Assessment 2018 (pdf, 1806KB) - a detailed assessment and analysis of all playing fields and outdoor sports spaces including football pitches, cricket pitches, rugby union pitches, artificial grass pitches, tennis courts and bowling greens.
- Playing Pitch Strategy 2018 (pdf, 1403KB) - building on the Playing Pitch Assessment, this Strategy provides the strategic framework and recommendations for the borough’s playing fields and sports pitches.
- Indoor Sports Facility Needs Assessment 2015 (pdf, 2499KB) - a detailed assessment, including a supply and demand analysis, of indoor sports facilities including swimming pools, sports halls, health and fitness facilities and squash.
- Open Space Assessment 2023 (pdf, 2.0 MB) - a detailed assessment of the borough’s open space provision including its condition, distribution and overall quality, covering parks and gardens, natural and semi-natural green spaces, amenity green spaces, play provision, allotments, cemeteries and civic spaces.
View the previous studies related to sport, open space and recreation needs:
Monitoring of the Playing Pitch Strategy
Monitoring and updating the Playing Pitch Strategy forms is an important part of the planning process, with guidance from Sport England recommending that the actions identified within the Strategy are reviewed on at least an annual basis. In light of this, the Council participated in a monitoring meeting with Sport England and representatives from the National Governing Bodies, and have updated the action plan accordingly.
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Action Plan Update (January 2022) (pdf, 525 KB)
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Action Plan Update (September 2021) (pdf, 666 KB)
- Playing Pitch Strategy – Action Plan Update (March 2021) (pdf, 616 KB)
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Action Plan Update (March 2019) (pdf, 402 KB)
- Playing Pitch Strategy - Action Plan Update (September 2019) (pdf, 499 KB)
Up to: Local Plan evidence
Updated: 20 April 2023