My Account

Change of use for buildings

Use classes

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes' which are detailed below.

'Change of use' can occur within the same use class or from one use class to another.

Depending on the specifics of any proposed change of use, including any building work associated with the proposal, it may require an application for planning permission or prior approval.

The relevant building regulations also need to be considered for any proposed change of use.

Check further guidance about change of use on the Planning Portal.

Updated: 26 February 2021

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.