How to use your Car Club parking permit
Guidance to help you once you receive your Car Club parking permit.
If we receive your application on or before the 17th of the current month, the permit will be back-dated to the beginning of that month.
Permits applied for on or after the 18th of the month, will be forward-dated to the beginning of the following month.
- Application made on 15 May 2014: Permit start date is 1 May 2014.
- Application made on 19 May 2014: Permit start date is 1 June 2014.
Not all zones operate during the same times. We advise you to check the operation times of the zone/s you wish to park in.
When you receive your new permit you will need to ensure it is displayed correctly. Failure to do so could result in the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
Each new permit will be issued with a protective cover. This should be affixed to the inside of your windscreen on the passenger side. The permit must always be displayed, so that the details are clearly visible.
Before using your new permit ensure you have checked where you can park.
Car Club parking permits are valid in:
- Dedicated Car Club parking bays corresponding to the location printed on the permit (for example, the ‘home’ bay).
- Resident parking permit bays in the same Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ), should the Car Club ‘home’ bay be unavailable. The driver should notify the company who should in turn notify us on 020 8744 0462 (7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday), to prevent the issue of a PCN.
- Resident parking permit bays in all CPZs within London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.
A permit will enable the holder to park in any vacant on-street resident parking permit holder's space, or if applicable, shared use space within the zones (subject to the conditions above) between the hours displayed on signs at the entry points to the zone, and in some cases, on signs adjacent to the parking bays, subject to any parking suspension that may occur. Parking places are not controlled outside of the zones restricted hours.
Car Club permits are not valid in off-street car parks or pay and display bays except where otherwise stated by signs at the locations.
There is no limit to the number of Car Club parking permits you can apply for. However, we will assess your requirements and reserve the right to offer an alternative, if that is more suitable. Permits are valid for 12 months.
The Council regularly suspends bays from normal use for various reasons (for example, house moves). Any unauthorised vehicles found parked in a suspended bay may be liable for a PCN. Drivers of Car Club vehicles should check for parking bay suspensions before parking.
You will need to update your permit if the permit was issued to a Band A vehicle, but you want to use it on a non-Band A vehicle (or vice versa).
To update your permit:
- First you will need to download and complete a permit change or return form(pdf, 33KB), and return this to us along with your existing permit for a refund (if applicable)
- You will then need to complete a new operational parking permit application and return to us along with the required proofs and payment
There is no charge for the first reissue of a permit due to a change of vehicle within any 12 month period. Any subsequent reissues will incur a £10 administration fee.
You can use the tear-off slip on your permit letter to park for 7 days whilst your permit is being updated.
If the permit is not returned it will be treated as lost and you may be charged a £10 administration fee. A vehicle displaying a permit declared lost will be liable for a PCN if found to be using it.
If your organisation has moved to another address, you must complete and return a permit change or return form(pdf, 33KB).
If a permit is lost, stolen or damaged, you must let us know immediately by completing a permit change or return form(pdf, 33KB). The permit will no longer be valid and anyone attempting to use the permit will be liable for a PCN. If requested, a new permit will be issued for the unused period of the original permit.
A charge of £10 will be made for the issue of a replacement permit, except when the permit was stolen and a police crime reference number is provided.
We do not send renewal reminders for Car Club parking permits. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure the permit/s are renewed. To renew a permit you must complete a new Car Club parking permit application, re-submit your proofs and make payment (if applicable).
Refunds are available for permits, which have at least one full month remaining before the expiry date.
To apply for a refund you must download and complete a permit change or return form(pdf, 33KB), and return this to us along with your permit/s.
Refunds will be issued either by:
- BACS payment, direct to your bank account (you must include your bank details on the 'change or return form'); or
- Cheque which you will receive within 28 days.
Refunds are calculated as the amount originally paid, divided by the duration in months of the permit, and multiplied by the number of full months remaining on the permit. A £10 administration fee is then deducted. This calculation is made even if the permit has not yet started. If you wish to apply for a refund, contact us by email at email@example.com
Up to: Car Club parking permits
Updated: 05 August 2020