A walk down Hill Street
A study of Victorian Richmond from the Local Studies collection.
Take a walk down Victorian Hill Street. Hill Street forms the backbone of Richmond and links the town with the bridge and hill.
A walk down Hill Street uses the records from 1851 to 1900, with extracts from the resources in Richmond Libraries Local Studies Collection. You can find out how to trace the history of a property or area by using these resources.
- Map of Hill Street with links to the details for each property.
- Census returns - The Local Studies Collection holds the Census Returns for the area now covered by the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames from 1841 to 1901
- Rate records - This information may vary depending upon the type of rate being collected and the date.
- Photographs - The Local Studies Collection holds several thousand photographs and slides for Richmond upon Thames from the 1850s onwards.
- Local street directories - These can be used to trace either the location of a particular person or the resident of a specific property.
- Sales catalogues - These can provide information on properties, their worth and layout.
For more information about the Hill Street collection or the resources maintained by the Local Studies Team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Up to: Local Studies Library
Updated: 03 February 2020