My Account

Immigration and residence restrictions can affect the housing help or advice you get from us.

Immigration controls

Some categories of people are ineligible for social housing due to their immigration status. The basic rule is a person subject to immigration control is not eligible. There are some exceptions to this.  

You are unlikely to be eligible for housing assistance with the council, where your immigration status means you have no recourse to public funds or where you are not permanently resident in the UK. This restriction affects foreign students, work-permit holders, visitors and some other types of limited leave to remain. 

You usually qualify for help if you've been granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR), also known as settled status.  

You might not be eligible if any of the following apply: 

  • You are a visitor to this country 
  • You are a student from another country or a sponsored immigrant 
  • You are an illegal immigrant 
  • You are seeking asylum 
  • You claimed asylum, but the Home Office refused to give you asylum 
  • You are not habitually resident in the UK or Ireland 
  • The Home Secretary has said you no longer have a right to stay in the UK 

Further information

You can find a range of general advice and information on our Housing pages.

If you want more information, contact Shelter or Citizens Advice. 

There is also more information and advice at: 

Updated: 01 February 2019

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.