My Account

I’m a Ukrainian arriving in Richmond upon Thames

We are welcoming Ukrainian nationals through the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme.

This page provides useful local information for getting you settled in Richmond upon Thames.

The UK Government have published a comprehensive guide to the Homes for Ukraine Scheme and life in the UK. We recommend you take time to read this.

Financial support and finding a job

Ukrainian guests on a Homes for Ukraine visa are entitled to a one off £200 payment to help with immediate costs. To claim this payment please come to the reception in the Civic Centre from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday), and bring your passport and visa as proof of ID. The address is: 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ.

Please note: If you have arrived in the UK with a Ukrainian Family Visa, you are not entitled to the £200 payment.

You are entitled to work while you are living in the UK. Before you can start work, you need to apply for a National Insurance number. You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you have the right to work in the UK.

If you are unable to find a job straight away, or need additional financial support, you are eligible to apply for benefits immediately. Find out what support is available to you.

A local Jobcentre Plus, can also help you find employment and assess you for financial benefits.

Workmatch is our employment service that can off support, advice, guidance and training, and can help you find a job with a local employer.

English as a second language classes are available at the Richmond and Hillcroft Adult Community College.

You can learn new skills through one of many local adult education providers.

Education and support for children

Any child under 18 will be entitled to enrol in a local school. You will receive support to enrol in a school, but you can find out more information about the process here:

​Find out about other local childcare options for any age and children centres, for children under 5.​

There are nine local youth clubs which offer a range of activities and support for young people.

Special needs

All families with children will receive a home visit from a children’s services officer from the Council. If your child has a disability or special educational needs, the officer will be able to help you access support available.


You will have access to free health care while in the UK, via the local National Health Service (NHS).

Accessing healthcare

The first thing you should do is register with a local GP. GP surgeries are usually the first contact if you have a health problem. They can treat many conditions and give health advice. They can also refer you to other NHS services, including mental health.

Mental health and wellbeing support services are available to you locally. If you have serious concerns about your mental health you should contact your GP.

Find out about other local health services.

Get a COVID-19 vaccine

Everyone living in the UK aged 12 and over, and some children aged 5 to 11, can get a 1st and 2nd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

People aged 16 and over, and some children aged 12 to 15, can also get a booster dose.

Find out how to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

Find out more COVID-19 guidance in the UK and other local information.

Support for vulnerable adults

Adult Social Care can help people who are elderly or have disabilities. They can also help you connect with local neighbourhood groups, and services such as libraries and health services.

They can also help you if you look after someone else.

When you contact Adult Social Care, they will carry out an assessment to find out what you need. They will also carry out a financial assessment to see if you have to pay anything.

Adult Social Care can help arrange for someone to come into your home to look after you. They can also arrange for a place in a care home. They can get specialist equipment to help you live in your home. They can give support and advice to people with physical or learning disabilities, or people with sensory disabilities.

Find out more about Adult Social Care.

Police and safety

You can contact the Police by calling 101 (non-emergency) or 999 (emergency).

There is support available if you need help for the following:

Living in Richmond upon Thames

Richmond upon Thames is a great place to live, with plenty to do locally.

Find out more:

You can find out about local events, shops, bars and restaurants at Visit Richmond.

If you would like to explore the rest of London, find out more about public transport options with Transport for London (TfL).

More useful information:


If you are unable to find the information you need on these pages or on our website you can contact us via email or call 0208 891 7687.

For independent advice on the Homes for Ukraine scheme and living in the UK, you can visit:

Up to: Ukraine

Updated: 06 May 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.