School admission appeals
If your child has been refused a place at one of your preferred primary or secondary schools, you may appeal the decision of the admissions authority. Your reasons for appealing will then be considered by an independent panel.
The easiest way is to submit your appeal using our online form at the bottom of this page. Paper forms are available on request.
Before you start
You can only lodge an appeal once you have received a letter or email refusing a place at your preferred school(s). To apply for a school place or to enquire about the waiting list please contact School Admissions.
You must read the appeals guidance (pdf, 105 KB) before you begin the form.
If you are appealing for more than one child, or more than one school, a separate form must be completed for each.
Schools we manage appeals for
The Richmond Independent Appeals Service is responsible for the appeals for the Richmond schools listed below. We also handle the appeals for Kingston Borough's Community Schools and a few other out of borough schools.
If you wish to appeal for schools not listed below, you should contact the establishments directly. If you are unsure who you should appeal to, contact us for advice.
- Alexandra Primary School
- Archdeacon Cambridge's CE Primary School
- Barnes Primary School
- Bishop Perrin CE Primary School
- Blue CE Primary School
- Buckingham Primary School
- Burlington Infants
- Burlington Junior School
- Carlisle Infant Primary School
- Chase Bridge Primary School
- Christ's CE Secondary School
- Cleves School
- Cobham Free School
- Collis Primary School
- Coombe Hill Infants
- Darell Primary School
- Deer Park School
- East Sheen Primary School
- Ellingham Primary School
- Grand Avenue Primary School
- Green Lane Primary School
- Hampton High School
- Hampton Hill Junior School
- Hampton Infant School
- Hampton Junior School
- Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School
- Heathfield Junior School
- Heathfield Nursery and Infant School
- Holy Trinity CE Primary School
- Kew Riverside School
- King Athelstan Primary School
- King’s Oak Primary School
- Lime Tree Primary School
- Lovelace Primary School
- Lowther Primary School
- Malden Manor Primary School
- Maple Infants School
- Marshgate Primary School
- Meadlands Primary School
- Orleans Park Academy
- Orleans Primary School
- King's CE Primary School
- Richmond-upon-Thames School
- Robin Hood Primary School
- Russell Primary School
- Sheen Mount Primary School
- St Edmund's Catholic Primary School
- St James' Catholic Primary School
- St John's CE School
- St Luke’s CE Primary School (Kingston)
- St Mary Magdalen Catholic Primary School
- St Mary's CE (Twickenham) Primary School
- St Mary's Hampton CE Primary School
- St Stephen’s CE Primary School
- Stanley Primary School
- Teddington School
- Tolworth Infants School
- Tolworth Junior School
- Twickenham Primary Academy
- Twickenham School
- Thompson House
- Trafalgar Infant School
- Trafalgar Junior School
- Turing House School
- Vineyard Primary School
- Waldegrave School
Special Educational Needs
You should not complete an appeal form if your child has an Education Healthcare Plan (EHCP) as the Authority’s SEN Panel will consider your case separately.
Important dates and deadlines
View key dates in the schools admissions appeal process for children starting school in September 2024.
Any appeals lodged after the closing dates will still be heard, however they may be delayed.
Appeals submitted outside the main round of admissions will be heard within 30 school days.
You will need
Information you must provide:
- Child's details, including proof of residence if you have moved since your original application.
- Your reasons for appealing
- Evidence to support your appeal (e.g. a doctor’s letter)
The appeal hearing is arranged independently of the Admissions Team, therefore any evidence submitted that you wish to be used in the determination of your waiting list place must also be sent to School Admissions.
The form will require you to upload several documents to support your application.
Please note that the size of each document must not exceed 1MB. Please check the size of documents (particularly scans) before you attach them.
Failure to do so could result in your application not going through correctly, and the process being delayed.
What happens next
When you have completed and submitted the form, arrangements will then be made for your appeal to be heard by an appeal panel that is independent of the Council and the school involved.
For more information about admissions appeals, email email@example.com.
It may take us longer to respond during peak periods.
We are unable to assist with queries relating to your child’s application, including their position on any waiting lists. Contact School Admissions for more information about these matters.
Up to: School admissions
Updated: 08 January 2024