My Account

Licence summary

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority

issued under the provisions of the Hypnotism Act 1952.

You must comply with any conditions(pdf, 25KB) attached to an authorisation.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants must be aged 18 years or older.

An application can be made for Hypnotism consent in any place and will be accepted for performances in buildings or on the street. However, a Street performance application will have to specify in detail the location of the performance and demonstrate how public safety will be ensured. A risk assessment may be required depending on the nature of the proposed performance.

View fees for hypnotism licences

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application evaluation process

Applications must be made giving the as much notice as possible to enable the Council to properly consider the application, especially when the hypnotist has not previously performed in the borough.

  • References will be required from other local authorities where performances of hypnotism have been previously performed
  • If the proposed performance is for a public space, such as a street, park etc, the location of the performance and a detailed description of proposed public safety measures will be required
  • The applicant shall take out third party cover with a minimum liability of £2,000,000 and supply a copy of the certificate with the application.
  • The Council will contact the professional body to which the hypnotist belongs.

Note the Council can waive the requirement to provide references if the hypnotist has recently performed in the Borough under a permit issued by the Council.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period, which is 30 days.

Make an application

Download the application form and return it to the Licensing Team.

Hypnotism application form(pdf, 44KB)

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Please contact the Licensing Team.

Trade associations

EUGO - Part of the EUGO network

Contact the Licensing Team

If you have any questions or comments please contact Licensing Team.

Regulatory Services Partnership (serving Merton, Richmond and Wandsworth Councils) 
Merton Civic Centre 
London Road 
SM4 5DX 


Updated: 04 October 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our business support email updates.