Apply for a gambling permit or notification
Under the Gambling Act 2005 Permits are issued to premises that either offer very low-stakes and prize gaming, or premises whose primary function is not the provision of gambling facilities.
Types of permits
We issue the following types of Permit under the Act:
- Family entertainment centre gaming machine permit: A premises providing low state and prize gaming machines that can be played by persons under the age of 18
- Club gaming and club machine permits: Members clubs wishing to provide gaming machines or high-value gaming in their premises, for the exclusive use of members, can apply for one of two types of permit to allow this
- Licensed premises gaming machine permit: Certain premises which are subject to a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 authorising the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises may apply for a permit allowing a stated number of gaming machines to be made available for use within the premises
- Prize gaming permit: Allows the playing of games where the organiser puts up the prize in advance. It is not determined by the number of persons playing or the amount paid or raised by the gaming
- Gaming machine notification: Certain premises which are subject to a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 authorising the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises are allowed to make one or two gaming machines available for use.
How to apply
Permit and notification applicants and holders are not required to have an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.
All applicants must complete the application form and pay the required fee.
- Apply or renew a club gaming permit or club machine permit (MS Word, 105 KB)
- Notification or application for a gaming permit for premises licenced to sell alcohol on the premises (MS Word, 100 KB)
- Prize gaming permit application (MS Word, 94 KB)
Contact the Licensing Team
If you have any questions or comments please contact the Licensing Team.
Regulatory Services Partnership
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone: 020 8545 3969
Updated: 31 March 2022