My Account

Registration summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered please register the business in the first instance, then apply for approval if your local authority subsequently requires you to so.

Do I need planning permission?

You may require planning permission to open a food business. This depends on the type of food premise you wish to operate. Please see the Planning Guidance for Food and Drink Establishments(pdf, 560KB) for general guidance. For further information contact Development Control on 020 8891 1411

Staff training

No formal training is required. However, all food handlers must be supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters to a level appropriate to their job.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulations relating to this licence(pdf, 111KB). Please see specifically Chapter 2, Article 6 on page L 226/8.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your registration is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


Apply online for registration of a food business establishment.

Alternatively, you can download and complete the food premises registration form. The completed form should be emailed to or posted to:
Food & Safety Team
Regulatory Services Partnership
Merton Civic Centre
London Road 

Change of circumstances

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances.

More information

More information on food safety issues is available:

  • Food safety in business premises
  • Food safety at home


If you have any questions or would like any advice, please contact us:

Consumer Protection

Regulatory Services Partnership
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3025
Fax: 020 8891 7713

We are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Updated: 28 December 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our business support email updates.