My Account

Licence summary

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from your local authority.

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

There are exceptions for organisations that hold camping exemption certificates.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in the legislation

Regulation summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application evaluation process

When an application is made it will be deemed to be made unconditionally unless the local authority give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

EUGO - Part of the EUGO network

Apply online

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

If an applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

A licence holder may appeal against a condition attached to a licence to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Complaints about noise, pollution, etc should be made to the local council.

Trade associations


We are open Monday to Thursday - 9am to 5.15pm and Friday 9am to 5pm

If you have any questions or would like any advice please contact us:

Telephone: 020 8545 3969
Fax: 020 8831 6404

Updated: 17 October 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our business support email updates.