Submit a school admissions appeal
If your child has been refused a place at one of your preferred primary or secondary schools, you may appeal the decision of the admissions authority. Your reasons for appealing will then be considered by an independent panel.
You must read the guidance notes before you complete your form.
Before you start
You can only lodge an appeal once you have received a letter or email refusing a place at your preferred school(s). To apply for a school place or to enquire about the waiting list please contact School Admissions.
The Richmond Independent Appeals Service is responsible for the appeals for the Richmond schools listed below. We also handle the appeals for Kingston Borough's Community Schools and a few other out of borough schools.
If you wish to appeal for schools not listed below, you should contact the establishments directly. If you are unsure who you should appeal to, contact us for advice.
- Alexandra Primary School
- Archdeacon Cambridge's CE Primary School
- Barnes Primary School
- Bishop Perrin CE Primary School
- Blue CE Primary School
- Buckingham Primary School
- Burlington Infants
- Burlington Junior School
- Carlisle Infant Primary School
- Chase Bridge Primary School
- Christ's CE Secondary School
- Cleves School
- Cobham Free School
- Collis Primary School
- Coombe Hill Infants
- Darell Primary School
- East Sheen Primary School
- Ellingham Primary School
- Grand Avenue Primary School
- Green Lane Primary School
- Hampton High School
- Hampton Hill Junior School
- Hampton Infant School
- Hampton Junior School
- Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School
- Heathfield Junior School
- Heathfield Nursery and Infant School
- Kew Riverside School
- King Athelstan Primary School
- King’s Oak Primary School
- Lime Tree Primary School
- Lovelace Primary School
- Lowther Primary School
- Malden Manor Primary School
- Maple Infants School
- Marshgate Primary School
- Meadlands Primary School
- Orleans Park Academy
- Orleans Primary School
- Queen's CE Primary School
- Richmond-upon-Thames School
- Robin Hood Primary School
- Russell Primary School
- Sheen Mount Primary School
- St Edmund's Catholic Primary School
- St James' Catholic Primary School
- St John's CE School
- St Luke’s CE Primary School (Kingston)
- St Mary Magdalen Catholic Primary School
- St Mary's CE (Twickenham) Primary School
- St Mary's Hampton CE Primary School
- St Stephen’s CE Primary School
- Stanley Primary School
- Teddington School
- Tolworth Infants School
- Tolworth Junior School
- Twickenham Primary Academy
- Twickenham School
- Thompson House
- Trafalgar Infant School
- Trafalgar Junior School
- Turing House School
- Vineyard Primary School
- Waldegrave School
Special Educational Needs
You should not complete an appeal form if your child has an Education Healthcare Plan (EHCP) as the Authority’s SEN Panel will consider your case separately.
Submitting your form
You must ensure you have read the appeals guidance (pdf, 105 KB) before you begin the form.
If you are appealing for more than one child, or more than one school, a separate form must be completed for each.
The easiest way is to submit your appeal using our online form at the bottom of this page. Paper forms are available on request.
You will need
- Child's details, including proof of residence if you have moved since your original application.
- Your reasons for appealing
- Evidence to support your appeal (e.g. a doctor’s letter).
The appeal hearing is arranged independently of the Admissions Team, therefore any evidence submitted that you wish to be used in the determination of your waiting list place must also be sent to School Admissions.
The following appeal dates apply to children starting school in September 2022.
Appeals for Year 7 entry should be submitted by 19 April 2022.
Appeals received by 19 April 2022 will be heard on weekdays between 16 May and 22 June 2022 (excluding half term).
Appeals for Reception or Year 3 entry should be submitted by 20 May 2022.
Appeals received by 20 May 2022 will be heard on weekdays in late June/July 2022 (excluding school holidays).
Any appeals lodged after these dates will still be heard, however they may be delayed.
Appeals submitted outside the main round of admissions will be heard within 30 school days.
For more information about admissions appeals, contact us:
It may take us longer to respond during peak periods.
We are unable to assist with queries relating to your child’s application, including their position on any waiting lists. Contact School Admissions for more information about these matters.
Up to: School admissions
Updated: 26 April 2022