As most of us are now staying at home, it is likely that this will create more household waste and put pressure on our recycling and waste services.
Changes to our services
How to support our waste crews
You can really help by:
- Regularly checking this website for updates on types and frequencies of recycling collection where you live
- Trying to minimise the amount of rubbish, recycling and food waste you produce. Every bit you can reduce will make a real difference to maintaining a good service for everyone
- Presenting your waste and recycling for collection on your property boundary
- Parking considerately to avoid creating an obstruction for the collection vehicles
- Checking locally about what can and can’t be recycled in your collection and via other services.
- If you are self-isolating and feeling ill, putting any potentially infected items like used tissues or cleaning cloths into separate plastic bags and double-bagging them. These bags should then be put aside for at least 72 hours (3 days) before you put them out into your external bin
- Avoiding doing big clear-outs while at home, which will create more rubbish and recycling for crews to collect. Please hold onto large items such as furniture, mattresses etc. until the pandemic has subsided and the bulky waste service has been reinstated. If you put these items out for collection now, they will be considered as fly-tipping and you may be fined
- Thinking about composting your garden and food waste
- Avoiding having bonfires to get rid of waste as the smoke causes air pollution and has potential health effects for you and your neighbours
- Continuing to wash your hands regularly, maintaining good hygiene when handling your rubbish and recycling and keeping your distance when the workers are doing their collections where you live
- Keep an eye on these pages for further tips and ideas for reducing and reusing your waste during this time!
London Recycles will be providing regular updates on recycling services across the capital so please check their website for the latest information and advice.