Tell Us Once service

After you have registered the death, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

Our Tell Us Once service means you only need to tell us once and we will notify our other council services as well as most government departments on your behalf.

Contact us about the service

There are different ways you can use the service:

In person

When you come to register the death the Registrar can take the additional information required at the same time. Please contact us to make an appointment.

By telephone or online

If you do not have all of the necessary documents with you, or have limited time on the day of the registration, you may wish to use the Tell Us Once service at a later time.

Once the death has been registered, we can issue you with a unique reference number which will allow you to use the Tell Us Once service from home, within 28 days.

You can do this with an adviser on the telephone by calling the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308. Lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline, other providers may charge.

Alternatively you can use the Tell Us Once service online at GOV.UK, by entering the reference number we have provided, and completing the information.

What happens to the information?

We will report the death to the following organisations:

  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
    • Pension, Disability and Carers Service
    • Jobcentre Plus
    • Overseas Health Team
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
    • War Pensions Scheme
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
    • Child Benefit
    • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
    • Personal Taxation
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • Local councils
    • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefits Office

If you ask us to, we can also contact

  • Council Tax
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children’s Services
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Electoral Services
  • Council Housing

How we will treat the information you give us

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

What information we need from you

To make sure the organisations we contact on your behalf get all of the right information, we will need:

  • A National Insurance number and date of birth of the deceased
  • Details of any benefits or services they received.
  • A current UK driving licence, if they had one.
  • A current UK passport if they had one.
  • A parking card for disabled people (Blue Badge), if they had one.

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin.
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner.
  • The person dealing with their estate (affairs).

You must get permission from persons listed above before you give us any information about them.

Next of kin

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and/or date of birth with you when you contact us. If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.

Privacy policy

We are committed to ensuring your information is protected. Your information will be used in accordance with our personal information policy.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you, have correct and up to date information about you.

Updated: 4 May 2017