NHS Health Checks
Even though you may be feeling great, if you’re over 40 years old you may be at risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, diabetes or dementia.
Free NHS Health Checks are available to people aged between 40 and 74 years. They can help assess your risk of developing these common conditions, as well as help you adjust your lifestyle to reduce these risks.
- What happens in an NHS Health Check
- Differences between NHS and other health checks
- How to book
You can have a free NHS Health Check if you:
- Are aged 40 to 74
- Are a Richmond upon Thames resident or registered with a Richmond upon Thames GP
- Have not been previously diagnosed with diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease or stroke
- Have not had an NHS Health Check in the last 5 years. Private health checks are different to the NHS Health Check, so you could still be eligible if you meet the above criteria
A qualified health professional will conduct your NHS Health Check, which will take around 20 to 30 minutes.
The check involves taking basic information such as:
- Ethnicity and family history
- Measurements, including your body mass index and blood pressure
- Performing a blood test to assess your cholesterol level
Based on the results of your NHS Health Check, you will be given tailored healthy living advice and you may be referred for further checks and support.
Unlike paid-for health checks, the NHS Health Check is designed as a specified set of questions and investigations focused strictly on a set of related risk factors, to be followed by a range of risk reduction measures known to be effective for reducing common cardiovascular diseases.
Both aspects of the programme are based on NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) guidance (research evidence).
Call your GP or community pharmacy today to book an appointment if you meet the eligibility criteria. You can find the contact information for all NHS Health Check providers in Richmond Upon Thames below.
The following local pharmacies provide NHS Health Checks:
Practices participating in the NHS Health Checks scheme:
- Broad Lane Surgery - TW12 3AX
- Cross Deep Surgery - TW1 4QP
- Essex House Surgery - SW13 0LW
- Fir Road Surgery - TW2 5T2
- Glebe Road Surgery - SW13 ODR
- Hampton Medical Centre - TW12 2PB
- Hampton Hill Medical Centre - TW12 1NY
- Hampton Wick Surgery - KT1 4DY
- Jubilee Surgery - TW2 6JL
- Kew Medical Practice - TW9 4BH
- Paradise Road Practice - TW9 1SA
- Park Road Surgery - TW11 0AU
- Parkshot Medical and Richmond Green - TW9 2RG
- Richmond Lock Surgery - TW1 1PS
- Richmond Medical Group - SW14 8LP
- Seymour House & Lock Road Surgery - TW9 1UU
- Sheen Lane Health Centre - SW14 8LP
- Staines Road Medical Centre - TW2 5AU
- Thameside Medical Practice - TW11 8HU
- The Acorn Practice - TW1 4EA
- The Green Surgery - TW2 5TU
- The Vineyard Surgery - TW10 6PP
- The York Medical Practice - TW1 3PA
- Twickenham Park Surgery - TW1 2AR
- Whitton Corner – Crane Park Surgery - TW2 6JW
- Woodlawn & Oak Lane Medical Centres - TW2 6EE
NHS Health Check offers additional information and resources for commissioners and health care professionals and for local government.
For general information about the NHS Heath Checks programme:
Up to: Looking after your health
Updated: 25 January 2023