I need help paying my rent or mortgage

There are several council and community schemes that can help if you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage.

Please remember, if you are unable to work as a result of testing positive for Coronavirus, or have been told to self-isolate by the NHS, you might be eligible for a one-off £500 payment.

Housing Benefit

Support is available to pensioners, people in supported accommodation and homelessness, temporary accommodation.

General mortgage advice

Advice and support for those having difficulty paying their mortgage.

Advice if you are about to be homeless

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness you should get advice and help to find a solution to your housing problem as soon as possible.  

Discretionary Housing Payment

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to an additional Discretionary Housing Payment on top of your normal Housing Benefit or Universal Credit payments.

Citizens Advice Richmond

They provide extensive advice and support on benefits, debt management, employment, housing etc.  


Local charity able to offer help and support to people that are homeless and living on the street in the borough. SPEAR run a drop-in service for advice and information for rough sleepers which can be booked using the telephone number provided or by visiting their drop in service at 89 Heath Road, Twickenham.

SPEAR are commissioned by us to deliver the homelessness and rough sleeping services and accommodation for people aged over the age of 18 years old. Any young person aged under 18 years old are advised to seek support and accommodation directly with the council.

  • Find out more about SPEAR
  • Call 020 8288 6506


Advice from the housing charity.

  • Find out more about Shelter
  • Call 0808 800 4444

Richmond AID (RAID)

RAID can offer a range of advice services for disabled people that can support with housing benefit or mortgage interest payments, advice on housing/moving to more affordable accommodation etc. 


They can support residents with a range of housing issues e.g. rent arrears, disrepair, re-housing, adaptations and antisocial behaviour.

Crosslight Advice

Can provide specialist, holistic advice for those struggling with debt or money issues.

Updated: 09 December 2020