What is the Nationality Checking Service (NCS)?
This is a partnership between UK Visas and Immigration and local councils in England and Wales. It allows those people applying for British citizenship to make their applications by attending a register office in person. In doing so they are able to keep their important documents in their possession whilst their application is being considered.
Richmond Registration Service offers this optional service to help simplify the citizenship application process.
You do not have to be a resident of the borough to attend an appointment here.
The Nationality Checking Service is by appointment only, and the non-refundable fee is required upon booking.
This is not the Settlement Checking Service; Richmond upon Thames does not offer appointments for the the Settlement Checking Service.
Richmond upon Thames does not offer the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP) in conjunction with the Nationality Checking Service. If you prefer to use JCAP see the Nationality Document Return Service for further information.
The appointment process
Each adult applicant must
- Attend in person. If the applicant is married or in a civil partnership and want to make a joint application, both applicants must attend. Children under 18 need not attend.
- Bring the completed paper application form(s). Online forms will not be accepted.
- Bring all the necessary documents for their application as listed in the guidance notes on the UK Visas and Immigration website.
- Bring payment for UK Visas and Immigration
During the appointment, the advisor will:
- Ensure that you have completed the application form correctly
- Check your original supporting documents (e.g. passport, certificates)
- Photocopy and certify your documents so that you can keep the originals
- Make sure that the correct payment for UK Visas and Immigration is enclosed
- Inform you if further documentation is required for your application. If you do not bring all documentation with you to your appointment, you may be required to make a second appointment and pay a further fee for this second appointment as per terms and conditions below
- Ask you to sign a disclaimer form if you do not meet basic requirements but choose to go ahead with your application.
Book an appointment
NCS terms and conditions
- The fee for your appointment is payable at the time of booking, and is non refundable.
- Your appointment fee is paid to London Borough of Richmond upon Thames for using the Nationality Checking Service.
- The fee paid to UK Visas and Immigration for your application is separate, and does not include the appointment fee for this service.
- Fees cannot be refunded if you fail to keep your appointment, or if your application does not meet the requirements to be forwarded to UK Visas and Immigration.
- If you are late for your appointment, it will not be possible to see you and you will have to book a new appointment and pay the appointment fee.
- All applicants over 18 must attend an appointment.
- All applicants must complete the application form before the appointment and attend with all supporting documents.
- If you wish to move your appointment, you must give at least 3 full working days notice by either telephone or email. For example, if your appointment is on a Monday, the last day you can move your appointment is on the Tuesday before. Please note if any of the days in between are Bank Holidays, you will need to add extra days as appropriate. An appointment can only be moved once, otherwise the full appointment fee will be payable again.
- If you are required to make a second appointment for your application, you will need to pay a fee for a second appointment.
- If further documents are required, and have not been produced within 3 months from the date of your appointment, any photocopied documents will be destroyed and your paper application returned to your home address that we have on file for you. Any future bookings in this instance will require payment of the full booking fee.
Richmond Registration service cannot offer advice on nationality matters. Should you require advice you can contact:
- Nationality call centre on 0300 123 2253 (lines are open from 9am until 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm on Friday).
- Information about NCS on GOV.UK