Change of legal gender

A person who wants to change their legal gender can do this by obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate.

Gender Recognition Certificate

If you are already married, you cannot get a Certificate without first ending your existing marriage. If you and your former spouse want to go on to form a Civil Partnership, you can do so as soon as the full Gender Recognition Certificate has been issued.

In these circumstances, you can give notice and register your civil partnership on the same day. There is no requirement to give a 15 day notice period of registration.

For more information about Gender Recognition, and how to register a Civil Partnership when one of you has acquired a different gender, visit the Gender Recognition Panel.

Updated: 11 May 2018