Landlord safety responsibilities

Private landlords are responsible for ensuring their properties are safe and free from health hazards. The Residential Landlords Association (RLA) and National Landlords Association (NLA) offer information on ensuring you are renting a safe and secure home.

Fire and gas safety

Fire safety precautions within rented properties are essential. For further information you should consult the Housing Fire Safety guidance issued by LACORS (Local Authorities Coordinators of Regulatory Services). 

Under the Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Regulations 2015, landlords are required to install working smoke alarms in rental properties. The London Fire Brigade offer guidance on the types of smoke alarms you should fit.

HMO landlords should check our Houses in Multiple Occupation page to find out what regulations they must also comply with.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 require landlords to maintain gas appliances and associated pipe work in a safe condition. Appliances must be checked at least once a year and a record of the inspection (date of inspection, defects identified and any repairs made) must be kept.

Find out more about gas safety.

Maintenance and repairs

Landlords are responsible for maintenance and repairs to the structure of the building including gutters, pipes and drains, roof, walls, floors and windows.

In light of the tragic events that took place in Kensington in June 2017, the Government is now testing cladding made from Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) across the country. If cladding on any buildings is made of ACM, then a sample will need to be tested. This testing is free of charge by the Departments for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). If you would like to arrange testing of materials from a building you own or manage, contact DCLG at

Right to rent

You must check your tenant has the right to rent your property if it’s in England. Citizens Advice offer guidance on right to rent immigration checks.

Updated: 23 November 2018