Empty properties

Bringing an empty property back in to use benefits the property owner and the wider community.

Report an empty property

You can report a house or flat which has been empty for over 12 months by emailing privatehousing@merton.gov.uk.

We will attempt to contact the owner to discuss bringing the property back into use. If the property is creating a nuisance, enforcement powers may be used.

Please provide as much information as possible about the property, including a full address. This information will help identify what action is needed.

Empty property FOI requests

We are frequently asked for addresses of empty properties within the borough but these are exempt from disclosure under FOI under S31 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the prevention or detection of crime) and S40 (3) (a) (i) (personal data).

Register online with HM Land Registry to obtain information on the owner(s) of registered property and land in the UK.

Updated: 18 March 2019