Council Tax exemptions
You do not have to pay Council Tax on some properties, as they are exempt.
If you are given an exemption, we will send you a review form every year to reapply for it. If you have received a review form, please do not fill out a new application.
Please let us know within 21 days about any changes that might affect your eligibility.
When a person dies
Severe mental impairment
Properties left empty
- When a person is in hospital or a care home
- Where occupation is prohibited by law
- When repossessed by the mortgagee
- By students
- An annex that cannot be let separately
- By people receiving or providing care
- By people in detention
- By diplomats and their dependants
- By visiting forces or their dependants
- By armed forces and married quarters
- By students as halls of residence
- Solely by people under 18
- By a dependent relative in an annex
- By a non-British spouse or partner or dependant of a student
Up to: Council Tax
Updated: 20 September 2022