Emergencies who does what

You know that by dialling 999 our emergency services will respond but do you know what they do when they arrive at the scene of a major incident? Do you know what your council is responsible for?

Other services


  • Rest centre operations
  • Emergency feeding
  • Welfare support

Website: http://www.wrvs.org.uk/

Armed forces

Individual circumstances of a major incident may require specialist help in dealing with particular circumstances (for example: disease control, terrorism, bomb).

St John Ambulance

  • Support to ambulance service
  • Care of the injured

Telephone: 020 7324 4000
Website: http://www.sja.org.uk

Red Cross

  • Help for evacuees

London office
28 Worple Road
SW19 4EE

Telephone: 020 8944 0246
Website: http://www.redcross.org.uk/


  • Provision of skilled medical help at the scene of an incident
  • Care of injured during transportation to hospital

Telephone (Kingston): 020 8399 6676
Website: http://www.samaritans.org/

Updated: 11 March 2013