Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
CAMHS is used as a term for all services that work with children and young people who have difficulties with their emotional or behavioural wellbeing.
Who we help
Parents, carers and young people can receive direct support through CAMHS.
Children and young people may need help with a wide range of issues at different points in their lives. Parents and carers may also need help and advice to deal with behavioural or other problems their child is experiencing.
The team offers a range of assessments and treatments. Where appropriate a combination of approaches will be used and in line with the young person's needs and as agreed with the family through care planning. Services offered include:
- General assessments of mental health/conditions
- Assessments for ADHD
- Assessments for ASD
- Risk assessments around issues connected to the young person's mental health
- DSH assessment service at Kingston Hospital
- Psycho-education and support to the family about the child's specific needs and disorder
- Specialist Eating Disorder clinic including dietetic advice
- Post-trauma therapy
- Assessments for therapeutic work
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Brief/interpersonal therapy
- Family therapy
- Child Psychotherapy
- Pharmacotherapy with advice and monitoring
- Parent work around the child's needs
- Consultations and network meetings with other professionals
The team hosts a Tier 3 Substance misuse worker to facilitate co-working around these young people.
How it works
The service covers a range of child mental health services in line with specific commission requirement providing a range of tier 2 and tier 3 specialised assessments and treatments to young people from Richmond and the surrounding areas.
The service currently accepts referrals from:
- Social Services
- Specialist Education Services (e.g. Educational Psychologists, Education Welfare Officers)
- Other health professionals (e.g. school nurses, paediatricians)
- Adult Mental Health Services
Referrals to Richmond CAMHS service are handled by the Single Point of Access (SPA). Call 020 8547 5008 or make a referral online.
How we work
The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) transformation plan sets out the local vision, strategy and key actions to support improvements in children and young people's mental health and wellbeing in the borough of Richmond. It was developed with children, young people, professionals and partners who have been working locally to deal with the challenging issues of mental health and wellbeing.
The key areas of transformation within our plans are to:
- Increase the capacity in our CAMHS single point of access across the voluntary sector, tier 2 and tier 3 to reduce waiting times for an assessment and expand our counselling offer for children and young people.
- Invest in our south west London eating disorder service
- Empower children and young people to destigmatise mental health, access help quickly, help themselves and help others
- Enable schools to access mental health training
- Meet the needs of vulnerable children and young people who are at risk of self-harming and sexual abuse
- Develop a workforce strategy to improve the capacity, skills and knowledge of professionals, parents and carers
Read the CAMHS Transformation Plan 2015-20.
Updated: 23 September 2020