Apply for a visitor parking permit (Pay As You Go)
A Pay As You Go (PAYG) account allows you to book visitor parking sessions online or on your mobile phone. You only pay for what you use and can also book consecutive sessions up to 30 days in advance.
No payment will be taken at the time of application. Activation of your account can take up to five working days. To use this service you must have a phone, which has caller ID enabled (preferably a mobile) and a credit or debit card to book parking sessions.
Check your eligibility
- Your property must be within a Controlled Parking Zone.
- You must not have an existing pay as you go account or visitor parking permit scratchcards.
- Your property must be your 'usual place of abode', (for example, you must normally spend at least four days each week living and sleeping at the premises). Having an office, shop or hotel in the zone does not entitle you to resident visitor parking.
- Your property must be eligible for a permit under the Town and Country Planning Act.
- You must have a phone, which has caller ID enabled (preferably a mobile)*.
- You must have a valid credit or debit card to book parking sessions, once your account has been activated (no payment is taken when you apply for an account)*.
*If you do not have this you can instead apply for visitor parking permit scratchcards.
Before you begin your application you will need to ensure:
- you are eligible and have read the legal guidance;
- you have proof of address**;
- you have proof of age** (if over 60 years old)
**Only required for new applications. Proof will not be required if you have applied for a resident or visitor parking permit in the past 12 months.
Accepted proofs of address
If you have a Richmond Account, you can link your Council Tax account and use this to prove your address. You will need to know your Council Tax account number to do this, which can be found at the top of your Council Tax bill.
You can also upload a scanned or digital copy of one of the following:
- Current Council Tax bill
- Current driving licence
- Legal letter of completion (valid 3 months from move in)
- Tenancy agreement (valid 3 months from move in)
- Utility bill (dated within 3 months)
Accepted proofs of age
If you are over 60 years of age you are entitled to a 50% discount on your visitors parking permit scratchcards.
You can upload a scanned or digital copy of one of the following proofs:
- Freedom Pass
- Birth Certificate
- Pension book or statement
Sending proofs by post
If you do not have access to a scanner or a digital camera, you can still apply online but you will need to post a copy of your proofs to: Parking Permits, PO Box 466, Twickenham TW1 9JT.
You must clearly mark all items with your online application reference number, which you will receive once you submit your online application (for example AFEXXXXXX).
Only send in copies of proofs as these will not be returned, they will be securely destroyed.
The easiest way to apply is online.
We do not take any payment at the time of application. Your account will be activated within five working days of completing your application. If you send your proofs by post, your account will be activated within five working days of us receiving your proofs.
Equalities Act 2010: should you have a disability and require a reasonable adjustment to complete either making a payment or an application for a parking permit, please call 020 8891 1411.
Your account will be activated within five working days of completing your application. If you send your proofs by post, your account will be activated within five working days of us receiving your proofs.
We will email you to let you know when your account is active (if you apply by post we will write to you).
When your account is activated you can begin to use the service. Read our guide to find out how to use your visitor permit PAYG account.
Updated: 06 September 2019