Primary school admissions
The following information is for children starting Reception in 2022.
You can calculate the start year based on your child’s date of birth below:
|Start or transfer||Date of birth|
|Start Reception September 2024||1/9/2019 - 31/8/2020|
|Start Reception September 2023||1/9/2018 - 31/8/2019|
|Start Reception September 2022||1/9/2017 - 31/8/2018|
|Start Reception September 2021||1/9/2016 - 31/8/2017|
Use the eAdmissions website from 1 September 2021 to apply online for your child’s primary (reception) or junior (Year 3) school place.
Children born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018 are due to start reception class at primary school in September 2022.
Children born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015 who currently attend an infant school are due to start year three at junior school in September 2022.
You can name up to six schools in your application including academy or free schools and schools in other council areas.
If you do not live within the borough you need to apply for a place through your own council and you can include Richmond schools in your application.
The closing date is 15 January 2022.
If you have any difficulty completing your application, please contact the School Admissions Team.
You must still apply for reception class even if your child already attends the nursery at your preferred primary school.
Before you apply
Please read before applying:
- Personal Information Policy and validity of information given
- Primary School Admissions brochure (pdf, 2.67 MB)
- Infant, junior, primary and secondary schools brochure (pdf, 4.7 MB)
- How places were allocated at community schools in the past three years (pdf, 207 KB)
- Guide for Ukraine nationals (parents, carers, hosts) (pdf, 157 KB)
For church schools, academies and free schools, please visit the school's website for how places have been offered for the last three years.
When making your application in eAdmissions you should:
- Complete a separate application for each child if you are applying for twins or triplets
- Tell us in your application if your child will have a brother or sister (sibling) attending your preferred school(s) in September 2022
Certain schools need additional information to apply their admissions criteria and may require you to also complete a Supplementary Information Form. For example, schools that prioritise applications by faith. If you are applying for this type of school, please check the school's website for further information and to download a Supplementary Information Form.
If your child has an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), or a Statement of Special Education Needs, you don't need to complete the application.
Applying for an in-year place
If you're not applying for a Reception or year three place in September 2022 you should read our in-year admissions information.
If you applied online:
- You will be sent an email during the evening of Tuesday 19 April 2022 to tell you the outcome of your application. The availability of results for viewing will be staggered to assist demand, so precise timings cannot be guaranteed. You will also be able to view this by logging in to the eAdmissions website
- Use the eAdmissions website to tell us if you wish to accept or refuse the school place your child has been offered. The deadline to do this is 30 April 2022. Submitting your response online guarantees that the school knows your decision.
- If your child did not qualify for a place at your first preference school, please read the notes for parents for more information about the process and what to do next
If you applied on a paper form:
- If you applied on a paper form you will be sent an email during the evening of Tuesday 19 April 2022 to tell you the outcome of your application
- Please make sure you respond by email to tell us if you wish to accept or refuse the school place your child has been offered. The deadline to do this is 30 April 2022. Returning your reply by the deadline guarantees the school knows your decision
Waiting list positions will be available from Monday 16 May 2022.
Read for information about the allocation of September 2022 school places and next steps:
- Notes to parents following primary allocation September 2022 (pdf, 111 KB)
- Notes to parents following junior allocation September 2022 (pdf, 98 KB)
You have a legal right to appeal against a decision not to offer your child a place at any or all of the schools that you've applied to. You can appeal for a place at your preferred school even though your child may have a place somewhere else.
The admissions authority for the school you're applying to must explain why your child hasn't been offered a place at that school. They must also explain how you can appeal against this decision.
Your appeal will be heard by a panel which is independent of the school and the admissions authority whose decision you're appealing against. You have the right to attend the hearing to explain your case to the independent appeal panel.
There are strict rules around the appointment of the appeal panel members to ensure their impartiality and independence. The panel's decision has to be accepted by the admissions authority and the school.
You may find it helpful to read the guidelines on the appeal process on the admission appeals page.
Appeals timetable - infant, junior, primary
For community schools, the deadline to lodge an appeal is in May 2022 (this must be at least 20 school days from the offer date). Appeals for these schools will be heard during June and/or July 2022. Please download an appeal form or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the appeals timetable for any academy, voluntary aided and foundation school, please contact the school directly.
Ensure you have read all of the content on this page, as well as the relevant FAQs, before contacting the team.
The School Admissions Team
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Education and Children's Services
Kingston upon Thames
Please note: priority will be given to queries where the information is not on the Richmond Council website or in the relevant school admissions brochure.
Up to: School admissions
Updated: 03 May 2022