1 March 2016
Applicant type: Student
1. Council Name:
2. Respondents Name and Telephone number:
3. How many homes in your area?
4. How many empty homes (for longer than 6 months) do you estimate there to currently be in your area?
5. What is the estimated percentage of the type of empty homes currently in your area?
6. What is the estimated percentage of the type of tenures of long term empty homes currently in your area?
- Owner occupier
- Private rented
- Housing Association rented
- Local Authority rented
7. What percentage of empty homes do you estimate are currently due to the following in your area?
- Second Homes
- Tenant vacant requiring maintenance
- Derelict or uninhabitable
- Landlord unable to afford repair
If other - what?
8. How many empty homes were brought into use in the past year (approximately)?
9. Please could you estimate the numbers of homes brought back into use in the last year using different methods in this table:
Main method which resulted in bringing property into use Number of properties Any Conditions imposed, such as 'make available for council tenants for 5 years'.
Offering mortgages to first time buyers who purchased run down properties with mortgage payments delayed for several years - also called Homesteading
Transfer from private to Housing Cooperative or Housing Association
Transfer from Council ownership to Housing Cooperative or Housing Association
Compulsory purchase into social housing
Convert commercial property
Grant for renovations given to landlord, then for private tenants
Grant for renovations given to landlord, then for social housing
Offering VAT incentive on the renovation costs
Council Tax applied at 150% on long term vacant homes
Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO)
Enforced Sales procedure
Empty Dwelling Management Orders
Powers to take over Land
Other - please specify
10. Do you believe the current statistics of empty homes is accurate? If not why?
11. What other problems are caused by empty homes?
12. What have you found to be the most successful solutions?
13. What are the obstacles you face?
14. What new initiatives are you aware of that should decrease the number of empty homes?
15. Are there aspects of empty houses you feel deserves further study?
16. Would you mind if I contact you or your team to ask further questions and possibly arrange a visit to meet you?
Info provided - 29 March 2016
Please see the attached PDF
Please note that our responses were accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time of release, and have not subsequently been updated. This information should be considered an historical record only.
Updated: 13 Apr 2017