The Electoral Register

Remember, you can only vote if your name is on the current Register of Electors. So don’t miss out.

How can I register?

The Revised Register of Electors was published on 17 February 2014 and will be updated on a monthly basis. Names can be added or removed until September by completing the voting registration form(pdf, 54KB) (print, complete and post it back to us).

When are details published?

Alterations are published monthly using the following statutory table:

Timetable to update your registration
Applications received by Will be registered on
Monday 10 March 2014 Tuesday 1 April 2014
Friday 11 April 2014 Thursday 24 April 2014
Friday 25 April 2014 Wednesday 7 May 2014
Tuesday 6 May 2014 (deadline to register for 22 May elections) Thursday 15 May 2014
Friday 9 May 2014 Monday 2 June 2014
Monday 9 June 2014 Tuesday 1 July 2014
Thursday 10 July 2014 Friday 1 August 2014
Friday 8 August 2014 Monday 1 September 2014

Am I registered?

At the end of February, confirmation letters were sent to every household. On the reverse was a registration form for any new residents to complete and return for inclusion on the next register update. New electors will receive confirmation in writing when they have been added to the Register.

I am now a British Citizen

If your nationality has changed, please fill out a voting registration form(pdf, 54KB) and post it to us along with a copy of your British Passport or Certificate of Naturalisation.

Who is responsible for my details?

In England, every Council is required to appoint an Electoral registration Officer who is responsible for compiling and maintaining the register.

In this Borough Gillian Norton, Chief Executive of the Council, holds this post.

Apart from the Council, who has my details?

There are two versions of the register: the edited version and the full version.

Full register

The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. It can only be used for electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit. It is a criminal offence for third parties to pass this information on to anyone else or to use it for any other purpose.

Under the duty to protect the public funds it administers, the Council may use information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud, and share this with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Edited register

Under current legislation the Edited Register can be sold to anybody and used for any purpose such as direct marketing, but you are always given the choice not to appear on this when you register.

Permanently ‘opt out’ of the Register For Sale

The Edited Register version of the Electoral Roll contains simply the names and addresses of registered electors, no other details, but is available for general sale and can be used for any commercial activities such as marketing.

Voter registration forms give you the choice of opting out of your details being widely available by ticking a box by your name on the form: but under election law, this choice must be made each year.

Under Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998, you can now give the Electoral Services Officer notice that you do not want your name to be used for direct marketing until further notice. Print off the Permanent Opt Out request form(pdf, 26KB) or contact us for a copy.

Please note that this needs to be in writing from each person, you cannot request it on behalf of someone else.

Updated: 7 April 2014