Bicycles that have been abandoned can take up valuable cycle parking space and cause a nuisance or obstruction to pedestrians and other bicycle users.
Our Street Scene Enforcement Officers inspect bicycles that are reported by the public as having been abandoned, and those that they come across on their daily patrols of the Borough.
If, during an inspection of a bicycle, the Officer believes the bicycle has been abandoned they will attach a notice to the bicycle warning the owner that they must contact the Council to claim the bicycle or move it, or it will be removed by the Council. The owner will be given 7 days to do this or 24 hours if the bicycle is deemed to be dangerous. Once a bicycle has been removed, we will store it for a period of 21 days before disposing of it.
Reporting an abandoned bicycle
If you suspect that a bicycle within the Borough has been abandoned, please report it to us. When reporting a bicycle to us, please include details such as the bicycle make, model and colour, the exact location of the bicycle, how long the bicycle has been left unmoved at its present location, and a general report of the condition of the bicycle.
- By telephone on 08456 122 660
- By email at email@example.com
What we will do for you
- Our Street Scene Enforcement Team will inspect suspected abandoned bicycles within 48 hours of receiving the report.
- If the bicycle is deemed abandoned by our Street Scene Enforcement Officer, we will attach the appropriate notice to it.
- We will re-inspect a bicycle that we have attached a notice to again once the appropriate time period on the notice has passed, providing it has not been claimed by the owner.
- We will remove any bicycle which is unclaimed and still present after the time on the notice has passed. The bicycle may be destroyed or kept in secure storage depending on its status.
- We will remove a bicycle that is burnt out or in a very dangerous condition within 24 hours of our inspection of the bicycle.
- We will let you know if we have removed your bicycle if you telephone us on 020 8891 7011 during officer hours (Monday-Friday between 9am and 5pm). Out of these hours, you may leave a message and your call will be returned the following working day.
- We will ensure that we will respond to your contact within the Council’s customer service standards.
What we would ask of you
- Please do not abandon your bicycle. Residents can take unwanted bicycles to the Townmead Road Re-use and Recycling Centre to be disposed of free of charge. Alternately, you can contact your local Charity shop to ask whether they would like your bicycle.
- Please park your bicycle in a safe and considerate location where it is securely fixed and will not cause a nuisance or obstruction to pedestrians or other bicycle users. Bicycles which are parked dangerously can be removed immediately by Council Officers without prior notice.