Scrap metal dealers registration
If you operate a scrap metal yard or collect scrap metal door to door, then you will need to register with your local authority. Scrap metal includes old metal, broken, worn out and partly manufactured articles.
- A scrap metal dealer shall be classed as carrying on a business in the local authority area if any of the following apply:
- the dealer occupies a place as a scrap metal store in the area
- the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but has a usual place of residence in the area
- the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but occupies a place for business purposcrap_metal_dealers_registrationses.
In addition to the requirements under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964, you may need to register with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier. Please see Registering as a waste carrier for guidance.
The registration is valid for three years from the date of issue and. We do not charge for this service.
Please read our conditions of registration(pdf, 29KB).
Application evaluation process
Applicants must provide the following:
- their full name
- the address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office
- the address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store, if any
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store;
- if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place.
When an application is received a licensing officer will carry out the necessary checks in accordance with the registration conditions(pdf, 29KB). The registered dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. Your registration will only be issued to you when all the necessary checks have been carried out and the premises meets the required standards.
How to apply
Apply by post
Please download and fill in the application form(pdf, 24KB) and send it to us at the contact address below.
Failed application redress
Any person who is refused an application can appeal to the Magistrates' Court. However, we would recommend you contact you local authority in the first instance.
Licence holder redress
Please contact your local authority in the first instance.
We would always advise in the first instance that in the event of a complaint, you make contact with the trader, if you are not satisfied with their response please contact the licensing team on the details below.
Please contact the licensing team on the details below.
Contact the Licensing Team
If you have any questions or comments please contact Licensing
44 York Street
Telephone: 020 8831 6455
Fax: 020 8891 7713