Before you start
You will be asked to confirm that:
- You have the Medical Cause of Death certificate from the doctor.
- The Doctor has not referred this death to the Coroner.
- You have the legal right to register the death (please see who can register the death).
If the death has been referred to the Coroner, you will not be able to use this form to make an appointment. Please telephone 020 8891 7188 as you will need to check with the Register Office that the required paperwork has been received from the Coroner's Office.
If you do not meet the above criteria, or require further guidance, please refer to our Registering a death page.
If the death did not take place in Richmond upon Thames
- You can make a "declaration" at this office. Please note that the death will not be registered at Richmond upon Thames Register Office, and we will not be able to produce any certificates at the time of registration or at any time in the future.
- This appointment is made subject to us receiving the relevant paperwork required for the declaration to be taken.
- We will post the paperwork, together with your payment for any full death certificates required, to the relevant register office. Your payment will be posted, so we cannot accept cash or cards: please remember to bring your cheque book or a postal order. The registering district will send you the green form for the funeral directors, and any death certificates purchased. Please note that this may delay funeral arrangements as a burial or cremation cannot take place without the green form.
It may be preferable for you to attend the relevant Register Office.
You will need
- Your details
- Name of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- Your availability for the appointment
What happens next
- You will receive a confirmation with instructions for your appointment.
- If you provided an email address you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your booking. If you do not receive this within one day please call 020 8891 1411.
- Please arrive on time; as if you are late we may not be able to see you. You must call 020 8891 1411 if you are unable to make your appointment.
Start my booking
Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete