Temporary traffic management

Sometimes works on streets require temporary traffic management. Different types of temporary traffic management may require different licenses or notifications to be made, please view our guidance by type of traffic management.

Temporary parking restrictions or road closure

Sometimes works on streets require temporary traffic management by means of:

  • Parking restrictions
  • Road or footway closure
  • Towpath closure or
  • Footpath closure

Such temporary traffic management requires a temporary traffic management order to be made by the Local Authority. To apply, see our temporary traffic management order procedure.

Parking restrictions

'Parking restrictions' here refers to unrestricted lengths of carriageway, or lengths which are subject to limited restrictions and where the undertaker or contractor require new or extended restrictions to be in force during the execution of the works.

The restrictions may be waiting restrictions (yellow lines) and/or loading restrictions (yellow blips marked on the kerbs).


Footway form either part of a carriageway/road usually referred to as pavement. Contractors must always provide a means of pedestrian access to properties adjoining the works. Pedestrian traffic will usually be diverted to the pavement on the opposite side of the road. If only one side of the road has a pavement, pedestrian traffic may have to be diverted onto the carriageway with suitable traffic management provided.

A temporary order is usually only required if a footbridge is to be closed. However, before carrying out any of the above, the contractor must notify the Council for its approval.

Temporary suspension of parking bays

A number of parking-related matters may be provided by the Council without the need for a traffic order.

These include:

  • Suspending parking bays (inside a controlled parking zone)
  • Dispensations to allow a contractor to park on a yellow line
  • Suspending parking bay for moving house. This is applicable only in controlled parking area (marked bays). For houses, which are not in a controlled parking area, please see temporary parking restrictions or road closures.

If you have questions, please contact Parking. They will provide all necessary signs and will advise you of the charges which will apply.

Temporary traffic signals

If the works only require temporary traffic signals, please submit a temporary traffic signals notification form(pdf, 20KB).

The undertaker or contractor must submit this form for approval at least two weeks before the restrictions need to come into force. The person or organisation carrying out the works will be responsible for providing the temporary signals and all associated traffic management.

To suspend an existing traffic signal/pedestrian crossing, please contact Transport for London.

Street works licenses

Section 50 Licence

We may grant a Section 50 Licence under the New Road and Streets Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) if you need to carry out work within or excavate the existing adopted highway to place or maintain existing apparatus.

This licence is required by anyone who is not a ‘statutory undertaker’ (water, gas, or electricity boards or telecoms companies.) The licence requires that public liability insurance is provided and that the persons excavating in the street are qualified to do so.

Details of these works will be added to our list of roadworks.

Before you apply, please read the terms and conditions enclosed within the application form linked below.

Cherry picker licence

You will need a licence if you are placing a cherry picker on the public highway for any length of time.

Before you apply, please read the terms and conditions enclosed within the application form linked below.

Safety requirements and traffic signs

For general safety and regulatory sign details, please visit safety at street works and road works and the Traffic Signs Manual on the Department for Transport website.

Updated: 21 April 2017