Book an appointment to discuss a new benefit claim

Use this form to make an appointment with a Benefits Officer to discuss a new claim. We will assess your circumstances and decide if you are eligible for Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

Before you start

Check that you should be making your claim with us.

If you live in an area that is affected by Universal Credit please seek advice from the local Job Centre and/or contact this office.

If you are also going to claim:

  • Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance and/or Employment Support Allowance, you will need to make your claim via Jobcentre Plus.
  • Pension Credit, you will need to claim via the Pension Service.

It is also important that you read our guidance on claiming benefits.

You will need

Ensure that you have the necessary proofs ready to bring with you to your appointment. Failure to do so may result in a delay in your claim being assessed and put into payment.

Evidence of identity

Such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, medical card, driving licence, UK residence permit, EEA identity card, or recent gas or electricity bill.

We may need to see several of these documents for each person.

Evidence of National Insurance Number

Such as a National Insurance number card, payslips or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenues and Customs.

Evidence of savings, investments and property

Such as all bank, building society or post office books, full bank statements, or certificates for Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends on investments and savings. The evidence must show details for at least the last two months.

Evidence of earnings

You will need to bring your payslips:

  • Last five payslips if paid every week
  • Last three payslips if paid every two weeks
  • Last two payslips if paid every month.

If you do not receive payslips from your employer then we can send out a Certificate of Earnings for them to fill out and return to us.

If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far. If you are just starting a self-employed business, you will need to provide a breakdown of your predicted earnings.

If you are starting new employment then we will need to see the contract and then payslips as you receive them.

Evidence of other income

Such as pension slips from a previous employer or a letter from the court showing how much child maintenance you are getting. We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

Evidence of benefits, pensions and tax credits

Such as current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming how much you get. Alternatively, bank statements to show payments being received. If you do not have evidence, you should let us know straight away.

Evidence of rent and tenancy

Such as a rent book, rent receipts, or tenancy agreement. We need evidence that you have an agreement to pay rent and proof of any rent or deposit paid so far.

Evidence of money paid out

Such as money paid towards a student grant or maintenance or signed contracts and receipts from child carers.

What happens next

You will receive confirmation of your chosen appointment.

Book my appointment

Short - this shouldn't take long to complete

Updated: 19 December 2017