Steps to take
No one can stop flooding altogether but you can be prepared by taking a few simple precautions:
- Maintain a stock of useful materials such as plastic sheeting, plywood and empty sandbags or polythene bags.
- Consider a floodgate type device for your front and back doors.
- Contact the Environment Agency's Floodline on 0845 988 1188 and ask for copies of their free publications.
- Make sure you know how to turn off your electricity, gas and water.
- Flood kit - keep a battery radio and a torch (with spare batteries), necessary medication, emergency contact telephone numbers, rubber gloves and your insurance policy in a safe place.
- Think about how to cook without gas or electricity.
- When choosing furniture and floor coverings keep in mind how they may be affected by water.
- Keep outside drains clear to let surface water escape.
- Use polyethene sheets with sandbags or rubbish bags filled with earth to protect doorways and low air vents.
- Protect food and valuables, for example: move them upstairs.
Create a flood plan
Are you a business, household or community in need of a flood plan? If you are you can make a flood plan.